Wave licensing center suddenly think you’re on a different machine?

September 15, 2013 16:02 by docbliny 

I started up Cubase for the first time in a few weeks, and I immediately got an error from my Waves plug-ins stating that its licenses couldn’t be found. This obviously freaked me out; I started the Wave License Center, and noticed that it couldn’t identify my machine anymore, and all my old licenses were listed under View All Licenses under the real name of the computer.

Long story short, I’d installed Visual Studio 2013 Pro Preview and along with that the Windows Phone dev kit (Don’t get me started how bad an idea it is to have everything on one machine…). Anyway, Waves didn’t recognize the machine because the network traffic was going through the Hyper-V vEthernet (External Switch) adapter with a different MAC address.

The fix:

  1. Start Hyper-V Manager.
  2. Click Virtual Switch Manager under the Actions pane.
  3. Select External Switch under the Virtual Switches pane/group.
  4. Select Internal Network, and then click OK.
  5. Close the Hyper-V Manager control panel.
  6. Open up your Network Connections control panel, and then disable vEthernet (External Switch) and vEthernet (Internal … Windows Phone Emulator…).
  7. Reboot (to be safe).

After a restart (and writing this post), I was good to go (but where’d my musical inspiration run off to in the meantime?)


Surface Pro and Screen Rotation Issue

February 17, 2013 10:10 by docbliny 

I was having the rather irritating issue with my Surface Pro where I’d hop on the train for my morning or afternoon commute, and the screen wouldn’t rotate (change the orientation) when I was trying to read with my Kindle app. What made it frustrating was that it’d start working again when I arrived. I read the troubleshooting document and then contacted Microsoft support and they weren’t able to reproduce the issue. This morning, I finally figured out what was going on.

More...


Is your Ajax application really slow on IE7? Here’s a tip

July 11, 2011 11:56 by docbliny 

Is your Ajax application running really slowly for users on IE7 (poor folks)? Have you narrowed down the cause to updating the history with location.hash? Is dynaTrace showing you that it’s actually the native DOM call hanging for more than 5 seconds?

If so, disable the Internet Explorer 7 Developer Toolbar and associated Browser Helper Object (BHO).


Replacing the Samsung Q1 UMPC internal fan

May 23, 2009 17:49 by docbliny 

The fan on my old Samsung Q1 gave out and I had to find a replacement. After a lot of digging, I had to hit eBay and get something close.

The sticker on the original fan states MCF-4008AM05-S, DC5V 120mA, Toshiba Home Technology Corporation. If you peel that off you’ll see MCF-TS4009M05, DC5V 200mA CODE GDM610000156". Several searches on Yahoo! later I ended up with a result stating that this is close to a Toshiba Portege M200/M205 small fan.

I haven’t measured whether there truly is a difference between the two fans (120mA vs. 200mA), but I did have to change to connector on the fan since that was different.

samsung q1 fan

 

Time to hook up some stuff to an Arduino Mega, plug it into the Q1 and install that as a CarPC.